Recipe: Summer rolls with dip
This summer roll recipe from the book Super (Good) Food by nutritionist and performance food coach Marcus Schall brings the warm season right into your kitchen!
The summer rolls recipe can also be made in a vegan version. Just try it and enjoy. Bon appetit!
For the summer rolls
Ingredients for 12 rolls
- 50 g glass noodles
- 1 handful of herbs, eg coriander and Thai basil
- 12 light green leaves of savoy cabbage
- 1 handful of sprouts
- About 1/4 head of red cabbage
- 4 medium brown mushrooms
- 180 g poultry meat or 180 g tofu
- sesame oil
- Some soy sauce and rice syrup (for the tofu variant)
- 12 sheets of rice paper (diameter 22cm)
For the soy dip
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 10 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Some wasabi paste
For the chili sauce
- 2 - 3 tbsp chili paste
- 1 - 2 tsp Manuka honey or another honey, or rice syrup for the vegan version
- Prepare the glass noodles for the summer rolls according to the package instructions. Wash and dry herbs. Pluck off the leaves. Wash and pat dry the cabbage. Wash the sprouts and also pat or spin dry. Wash the red cabbage, clean and cut into very fine strips with a sharp knife or chop with a kitchen knife.
- Clean the mushrooms with a vegetable brush or kitchen paper and cut into fine strips. Wash chicken, pat dry and cut into thin strips. Heat some sesame oil in a pan and fry the meat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté briefly. Salt. For the tofu variant, cut it into small pieces and fry until crisp. Season with some soy sauce and rice syrup.
- For the soy dip, toast the sesame seeds in a hot pan and allow to cool slightly. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Mix in the sesame seeds and the remaining ingredients. Mix all the ingredients for the chili sauce and dilute with a little water if necessary.
- Place the rice paper sheets individually in a bowl of warm water and then place them with a tea towel. Top each with 1 savoy cabbage leaf and then add all the other ingredients proportionally. Then carefully roll everything up and possibly fix with skewers. Serve with the dips.